Bak Kut Teh noodle
Here’s a recipe for a noodle meal using Bak Kut Teh as the soup base. Bak Kut Teh refers to a herbal soup quite popular in Malaysia which is boiled with pork ribs and (usually) serve with mushrooms, fu chuk (a kind of soya sheets), taufu pok (thin beancurd), yau char Kway (Chinese crullers) and vegetables.
This recipe is a non-meat version and with noodles. The Bak Kut Teh packet i am using is the one below (you can find the same or other similar brands in Chinese sundry shops).
- Bak Kut Teh packet
- Rice noodles
- Iceberg lettuce
- Light and Dark Soya sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Boil a pot of water and add the Bak Kut Teh packet in (should be able to make 2-3 servings)
- Add little bit both light and dark soya sauce together with salt/pepper to taste
- Boil 1-2 hours, be careful not to break the herbal bag
- Soak the rice noodles in water to soften it then set aside
- In another pot pour in required soup serving (dispose the herbal bag)
- After water is boiling, add in noodles, mushrooms and lettuce last (just enough to cook it)